The Birmingham to Beijing Project is a non-profit organization seeking to close the opportunity gap for students through critical language learning and study abroad experiences.
In the fourth year of our program, we have provided private instruction for Mandarin-Chinese for over 25 students. This year has yielded several successful measures for our program, including:
– Eight students enrolled in our Mandarin-Chinese courses
– 80% return rate from 2013-2014 school year
– 100% HSK Level 2 passage rates
– 100% HSK Level 1 passage rates
– Virtual class pilot program in Selma, AL
In summer of 2015, our eight students will be traveling during the month of July to China to continue their language and cultural studies. Throughout our independently organized trip, students studying Level 2 and 3 Mandarin in daily lessons aligned to the cultural experiences they will encounter. Our tentative schedule includes the following over a month span:
-Summer Palace, 798 Art District, Tienanmen Square, Llama Temple, Hutongs, Capital Museum, Peking University
– Five day tour of all open sections
– Three day grasslands tour
– Museum of Glass, Museum of Modern Art, Shanghai Museum, The Bund, Yu Garden, Jade Buddha Temple, Shanghai Grad Theater
– Terracotta Warriors, City Wall, Muslim Quarter,Xi’an Museum, Xi’an Bell Tower, Pagoda Square
Yangtze River Tour
– Four day exploration of the Three Gorges
All funds donated before July 2015 will go toward our Summer 2015 programming and travel costs, as well as our endowment for language study in the 2015-2016 school year.